Our New York City immigration lawyers combine proactive planning with efficient case management in order to streamline our services and better respond to the challenges presented by today’s complex immigration landscape. We are here to help you achieve your immigration goals. Navigating the immigration system is complicated, and often becomes a lengthy and overwhelming process for those who have not secured an experienced legal advocate.
We can help you with a variety of legal processes related to immigration, such as gaining visas & green cards, the naturalization process, and obtaining Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJ). We also represent women who are seeking refuge from abuse. By way of the Violence Against Women Act, abused women and families can petition for immigration to obtain safety.
Our family law attorneys advise and assist with matters concerning adoption and orders of protection. We strive to expedite satisfactory outcomes while remaining sensitive to our clients’ needs and resources.
Naturalization is the process by which an individual who was not born in the U.S. gains citizenship. Such an individual elects to pursue citizenship by choice, and must meet a variety of requirements before being granted this legal status. Applicants must submit a Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
The requirements for gaining citizenship through naturalization are as follows:
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of applying
- Must have had a Green Card for at least 5 years
- Must have lived in the USCIS district in which you are applying for at least 3 months
- Must have lived in the U.S. for at least 5 consecutive years before applying, being physically present for at least 30 months of those 5 years
- Must have basic English skills, including reading, writing, and speaking
- Must have a basic understanding of U.S. government and history, and demonstrate an accord with the principles and ideals expressed in the U.S. Constitution
- Be deemed a person of good moral character
You will undergo an interview with USCIS, which includes an English and Civics test. After these steps have been completed, the USCIS will contact you with their determination regarding whether you will be granted citizenship. An immigration attorney from our firm can help ensure that you are completing all the necessary steps and requirements, and that no errors are made during the process.
Pursue Immigration with the Help of Experienced Legal Professionals
Your best interests are our top priority. We provide cost-effective options for those pursuing immigration to the U.S., and make ourselves available through every step of the way. Our team is fluent in English, Greek, Spanish, Italian, Albanian, French, Arabic, Spanish, and Chinese.
At The Law Office of Deana Balahtsis, your best interests are our top priority. Contact us online or call (212) 588-1002 today to discuss the details of your immigration goals with us.